Haïti: remote efficiency
- OpenStreetMap is a Creative Commons project, sort of geographic Wiki.
- The members of this open community reacted promptly by drawing the precise map of the catastrophy.
- This map is updated in real time.
- Yellow crosses indicate the streets blocked by obstacles.
- Yellow crosses on red background are the collapsed buildings.
- White tents on a red background are the camps of survivors.
- Rescue teams and NGOs on the ground are using Garmin GPS .
- Hundreds of surfers immediately started a real ant work , designing the city's map using satellite imagery provided by Yahoo and by GeoEye (the company that provides Google Earth) and updated after the earthquake.
- It only took a few hours to members of the free mapping community to respond.
Haïti Crisis Map
http://haiti.openstreetmap.nl/ Haïti Crisis Map
Bostom Faces of Haiti (The Big Pictures)